Skip to main content

Why Use a Real Estate Agent for New Construction?

I've heard many people say, "You don't need to use a real estate agent if you're buying new construction." You will certainly hear those words from any builder's sales rep.  I can understand why a builder would say that (clearly they don't want to have to pay an agent's commission... that's less money in their pocket!) However, what I don't understand, is why a home-buyer would say that. 
So why should you use an agent?

Well, from a buyer's perspective, one of the biggest reasons is that as a buyer, it doesn't cost you anything to use an agent!  The seller (the builder in this case) pays the real estate commission. So, for the buyer, using an agent is a free service that could save you money both during the buying process and when you sell the home down the road.

As in any real estate transaction, your agent is there to guide you through the process and provide you with the expertise you need to make the best decision. Specifically with new construction, your agent can help guide you to the new construction neighborhood that will best suit your needs. There are many options out there, but they're not all right for you! She can also help you choose the best lot, as well as help you pick and choose the options that will make your home functional and beautiful but also give you the biggest bang for your buck. 

Another very important area where your agent can help in this situation is with financing options. Most builders have a lender and a title company that are associated with that specific builder. As a result, the builder will often offer "incentives" to use their lender and/or their title company. These incentives can range from options in the home (i.e: granite counters, a deck, a fenced in yard, a finished basement, etc.) to closing cost credits. However, just because the builder offers these incentives does not necessarily mean that you are getting the best deal with their lender. Your agent can put you in touch with several lenders and help find the best deal for your situation. 

Real estate agents also have a great deal of knowledge about the home-buying process that you most likely don't have. So how will this benefit you? In many ways, of course. It will also simply put your mind at ease knowing you have an expert to guide you through the process from start to finish. A specific example with new construction however, goes back to these "associated" companies I mentioned above. Often times, builders will discuss financing and settlement with you as if you don't have a choice but to use their lender and title company. BUT you always have a choice! The buyer gets to choose the lender and title company. Just because the builder may act like their's no alternative, doesn't mean that's the whole truth. Your agent will be able to help you decide if using the builder's lender and/or title company is right for you, or if it makes more sense for you to go with an outside company for either or both. 

Just remember: it's very important to have your agent with you from the first visit to the builder!! I hope that helps to clear things up for anyone looking at purchasing new construction! 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is this a legal bedroom?

I had a beautiful single family home listed recently that brought some interesting questions to mind. What makes a legal bedroom? What are the benefits of having an additional legal bedroom? Is making that basement "den" into a legal bedroom affordable? Is it worth it? So, I thought I'd blog about it! Many people who are fortunate enough to have a finished basement have some sort of room down there that's being used as a guest room. However, when listing a property, many people ask the question, "is this a legal  bedroom?" According to building codes in the state of Virginia, there are several things that are required to answer that question with a "yes!" First, the room has to be of a certain size at minimum. Specifically, it must be at least 70 square feet (or 100 square feet if there are two people living in it), and it must have at least 7 foot ceilings. The room also has to have access to a bathroom, without having to go through another b
Saving for a home: Put your purchases in perspective With the New Year approaching, there's a lot of talk about resolutions. Perhaps your New Year's Resolution is to buy a home in 2014, but how do you get there? You've been saving for what feels like forever, but the amount in that savings account is just not going to cut it. Fortunately, there are a lot of programs out there that can help you out. With an FHA loan for example, you can put down as little as 3.5% on your home. However, that's still a lot of money. Between the down payment, closing costs, and all of those little essentials you need when you move in, the amount of money you need can become daunting. So, you need a plan. Start by making yourself a budget, and stick to it! Think about the big picture here. How important is it that you're able to buy a house? Can you give up going out to dinner three times a week for the next few months in order to save more? Can you forego buying those new shoes

Back in Action!

Some of you may be wondering why I took a little hiatus from real estate. Well.... here's your answer! Isn't he a cutie?! This is my son, Everett James Crossett. He's just over 3 months old, and is the absolute light of my life! I wanted to take some time to devote solely to him, so I took a few months off, but now I'm back in action! I'm so fortunate that my mom is retired, lives nearby, and is always happy to watch my little peanut when I am out with clients!  I've been meeting with my first few clients since his birth over the past few weeks, and I'm happy to say that I got my first ratified contract last night! It feels good to get back to work, especially now that I have a little one to provide for. I have always loved my job, but now I do more than ever, since it allows me to be there for my son AND provide for my family financially as well. He motivates me to be both the best mother and the best real estate agent I can! If you or someone