Skip to main content

Go With Your Gut


Buying a house is just like any other important decision you'll make in your life. Yes, it's important to do the research, and it's important to explore your options, but at the end of the day, the most important thing is to go with your gut. When you find the right house for you, you'll know it. Don't hesitate. Think about it this way: when you found the right man or woman for you, did you say, "I think you're the right one, but I'd like to go date 10 more guys just to make sure"? Do you think he'd wait around if you did? I think not. 

The past few days that I've spent with my current clients have reminded me a lot of my own home-buying experience. Just as I had, they spent months looking at properties online in all different areas, planning where they would buy, when they buy, and what they would buy. They had their must-have lists, their budgets, and their timeline. And then... an opportunity presented itself. They had to react quickly or risk losing the "dream home". They may have had to scramble at times to get things together, but they did it. Everything fell into place. They didn't hesitate. And they made the right decision. Some might even say it was "meant to be".

My husband and I bought our current home before I became a real estate agent, but my passion for this industry was already there. We were saving up to make the leap from townhouse to single family, and at that time, we felt like we had a good 8-12 months left of savings to go before we would be "ready". However, I was still spending hours online researching and looking at listings. I was careful not to look at anything above my price range, for fear I would fall in love with something I couldn't afford, but I guess I never thought about what would happen if I fell in love with something I could afford. Well... I found out. 

One day I came across a listing I hadn't seen before. The house had been on the market, but the price was just reduced and now fell within my search parameters. It was perfect. (Or at least as perfect as it gets when you have a budget!) It had everything we were looking for and more. It needed a few updates but nothing substantial, and we aren't afraid of renovations. I drooled over the pictures for a few minutes and then moved on to something else. Problem was, for the next couple days, I couldn't stop thinking about it. Finally, I decided to show my husband. He thought it looked nice but couldn't understand why I was showing it to him because we weren't ready to buy for another year. (If you were to ask him about it now, he may say that this is where I started to "brain-ninja" him.) So I asked him, "how do you know we're not ready?" Of course, in an ideal world, we would have had more money saved up, but that didn't mean we couldn't, right? 

Well, after a call to our mortgage broker, who told us we could do it, I convinced my husband that we should just go see it. He agreed and so did our wonderful agent (aka: my mother-in-law!) I knew before we even got there that it was the one, but of course I had to be sure. We saw a few houses before we toured "the one", and nothing impressed us. When we got there, we both loved it. We said we'd go home and talk about. Well, being the wonderful agent she is, my mother-in-law called the listing agent to let him know we may be interested. That's when we found out there was another offer on the table. Well, no more time to think about it. We had to act fast. We put in our best offer, and we got the house. I haven't regretted it for a second. 

Even with the hundreds, if not thousands, of houses I've looked at online or in person since then, I have yet to find a house that I would choose over my own. So I know I made the right decision. I'm confident my clients will feel the same way after they've been in their new home for 2 years also.

Well, all this reminiscing is nice, but I must have a point, right? Of course I do. While I would never recommend that my clients buy a house before they are ready (both financially and emotionally), sometimes things just fall into place for a reason. (New regulations make it nearly impossible to buy if you're not financially ready anyway.) If it's right, it's right. If it's meant to be, you'll find a way to make it happen. When your gut says "this is the house for me", listen to it and don't look back.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Is this a legal bedroom?

I had a beautiful single family home listed recently that brought some interesting questions to mind. What makes a legal bedroom? What are the benefits of having an additional legal bedroom? Is making that basement "den" into a legal bedroom affordable? Is it worth it? So, I thought I'd blog about it! Many people who are fortunate enough to have a finished basement have some sort of room down there that's being used as a guest room. However, when listing a property, many people ask the question, "is this a legal  bedroom?" According to building codes in the state of Virginia, there are several things that are required to answer that question with a "yes!" First, the room has to be of a certain size at minimum. Specifically, it must be at least 70 square feet (or 100 square feet if there are two people living in it), and it must have at least 7 foot ceilings. The room also has to have access to a bathroom, without having to go through another b
Saving for a home: Put your purchases in perspective With the New Year approaching, there's a lot of talk about resolutions. Perhaps your New Year's Resolution is to buy a home in 2014, but how do you get there? You've been saving for what feels like forever, but the amount in that savings account is just not going to cut it. Fortunately, there are a lot of programs out there that can help you out. With an FHA loan for example, you can put down as little as 3.5% on your home. However, that's still a lot of money. Between the down payment, closing costs, and all of those little essentials you need when you move in, the amount of money you need can become daunting. So, you need a plan. Start by making yourself a budget, and stick to it! Think about the big picture here. How important is it that you're able to buy a house? Can you give up going out to dinner three times a week for the next few months in order to save more? Can you forego buying those new shoes

Back in Action!

Some of you may be wondering why I took a little hiatus from real estate. Well.... here's your answer! Isn't he a cutie?! This is my son, Everett James Crossett. He's just over 3 months old, and is the absolute light of my life! I wanted to take some time to devote solely to him, so I took a few months off, but now I'm back in action! I'm so fortunate that my mom is retired, lives nearby, and is always happy to watch my little peanut when I am out with clients!  I've been meeting with my first few clients since his birth over the past few weeks, and I'm happy to say that I got my first ratified contract last night! It feels good to get back to work, especially now that I have a little one to provide for. I have always loved my job, but now I do more than ever, since it allows me to be there for my son AND provide for my family financially as well. He motivates me to be both the best mother and the best real estate agent I can! If you or someone